Online Brand and Presence Building
A brick-and-mortar store that specialized in fair trade, hand made, gifts sourced from around the world approached me to help build its online presence. A major requirement for the online store was for it to reflect the ethos and philosophy of the brick-and-mortar store, while making it easy for customers to purchase fair trade products.
- Being the sole designer, it was difficult for me to switch my time between user research, information architecture, and actual coding.
- There was limited access to the customers themselves, so for the research, I had to rely on interviews with the store owner.
- Interviewed store owner to understand customer preferences and personas
- Provided strategic consulting for sales and product positioning
- Developed online brand for Web store
- Developed customer scenarios, assessed goals, and outlined tasks
- Wireframed layouts and scenarios
- Designed and developed the online store using WordPress and a custom shopping plugin
- Improved site traffic using Web analytics
Tools and Technology
- Pen and paper to draw initial sketches and to brainstorm on workflows
- Omnigraffle to develop wireframes and static prototypes
- Hand-coded WordPress theme for the shop front